Excellence in Peer Review: Taylor & Francis Reviewer Training Network
Peer review plays a key role in the dissemination of scholarly research output, and at Taylor & Francis we work to establish and sustain the highest standards of peer review. A vital part of this means ensuring that reviewers have the right resources and skills to carry out their work efficiently and effectively.
Our new program ‘Excellence in Peer Review: Taylor & Francis Reviewer Training Network’ was launched in 2019 to support researchers in becoming more effective peer reviewers. This training network is aimed at giving clear practical advice to researchers to improve the quality of the reviews they provide, as well as introducing the key principles to those who are newer to the review process.
The training program is being delivered through in-person and online workshops. Once they have been part of a workshop, participants who are experienced enough to become reviewers and who would like further experience have the opportunity to be linked with journals within their subject area.
This journal linking is the unique follow-up that we are offering to participants in our training network, offering them an opportunity to try out and hone their skills as a reviewer on live manuscripts and receive some feedback. Following this feedback process, they will receive further certification as an experienced reviewer for the journal.
In-person and online training workshops: gaining in-depth understanding of peer review from multi perspectives
- Peer review: process, value and challenges
- Responsibilities and ethical guidelines for peer reviewers
- Critical appraisal of articles
- Writing a review report
- Case studies and peer experience sharing
- Next step: Getting experience as peer reviewer
Links with journals: providing peer review opportunities for participants
Participants with suitable experience will have the opportunity to gain experience as a reviewer on relevant journals. Through a process of experience and feedback, participants will become certified as experienced reviewers.
- Linked to journals in suitable subject area
- Details provided to the Editor
- Invited as a reviewer for relevant articles
- Receive feedback on 2 – 3 reviews
- Certification as experienced reviewer
Who should participate?
- Researchers who want to gain experience as peer reviewers, who have some experience of publishing as authors
- Experienced peer reviewers who are looking to improve their skills
Upcoming training events:
- 18 September 2020, 15:00-16:30 IST (09:30-11:00 GMT). How to be an effective peer reviewer – webinar suitable for all researchers, English language. Register here.
- 14 October 2020, 15:00-16:30 IST (09:30-11:00 GMT). How to be an effective peer reviewer – webinar suitable for all researchers, English language. Register here.
- 22 October, 10:30-12:00 EDT (14:30-16:00 GMT). How to be an effective peer reviewer – webinar suitable for all researchers, English language. Register here.
- 22 October 2020 Taylor & Francis 同行评议卓越计划——文章送审之后的那些事 （中文）A webinar suitable for all researchers, Chinese language. Register here.
- 23 November, 15:00-16:30 IST (09:30-11:00 GMT). How to be an effective peer reviewer – webinar suitable for all researchers, English language. Register here.
- 17 December 2020 Taylor & Francis 同行评议卓越计划——文章送审之后的那些事（中文） A webinar suitable for all researchers, Chinese language. Register here.
- 21 July 2020 14:00 – 15:30 CST Taylor & Francis 同行评议卓越计划——文章送审之后的那些事：中国医学科学院专场 A webinar for researchers in medicine, in partnership with Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences. Register here
- 30 July 2020 Taylor & Francis 同行评议卓越计划——文章送审之后的那些事：复旦大学地球与环境科学专场 A webinar for researchers in earth and environmental sciences, in partnership with Fudan University
- 6 August 2020 19:30 – 21:30 CST & 7 August 2020 19:30 – 21:00 CST 与数字地球科学共同成长 在线研讨会 Grow with the Science of Digital Earth webinar, in partnership with International Society for Digital Earth
- 20 June 2020, 15:00-16:30 CST. “医路同行”系列培训之如何成为优秀审稿人. How to be an effective peer reviewer? -In partnership with Chinese Heath Promotional Foundation
- 27 May 2020, 19:00-20:30 CST. 如何进行高效评审.How to be an effective peer reviewer? – In partnership with Society of China University Journals.
- 26 May 2020, 19:00-20:30 CST, 评审人的职责与道德规范. Responsibilities and ethical guidelines for peer reviewers – In partnership with Society of China University Journals.
- 29 April 2020, 14:00-15:30 IST (09:30-11:00 BST), How to be an effective peer reviewer
A webinar for researchers in the life sciences (English language).
- 23 April 2020 14:30-16:00 CST, 文章送审之后的那些事：聚焦生物医学领域的同行评议
A webinar for life science researchers webinar in partnership with the Chinese Academy of Sciences.
- 15 April 2020 19:00-21:00 CST, T&F “云沙龙” | 携手顶级期刊，助力科研生涯
A webinar for researchers in earth and environmental sciences, in partnership with Critical Reviews in Environmental Science & Technology.
- 1 March 2020 – Delhi – as part of IPHACON 2020, the 64th Annual National Conference of Indian Public Health Association
- 9 September 2019 – Delhi – in partnership with Maulana Azad Medical College (MAMC)
- 2 August 2019 – Beijing – in partnership with the Chinese Academy of Social Science Evaluation Studies (CASSES)
- 30 July 2019 – Wuhan – in partnership with the Institute of Scientific and Technical Information of China (ISTIC)
Read the highlights from our workshops in China and India in 2019.
For information about reviewer training and engagement in China contact Jia Yang (Jia.Yang@tandfchina.com), Reviewer Engagement Manager, or Bing Zhang (Bing.zhang.CN1@tandfchina.com), Reviewer Engagement Editor. For information about other global locations, please contact Diana Marshall (firstname.lastname@example.org), Head of Reviewer Programmes.